Application requirements

A+ A- Aa
Share this page:

 Please note that Information relating to individuals (personal data) is collected and used in accordance with the Regulation (EC) N°45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18.12.2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community insitutions and bodies and on the free movement of such date. (OJ L8 of 12.01.2001, p.1)1


Your application must comply with the following requirements.

1-      Degree Requirement


Students need to have successfully completed at least an undergraduate degree in the field of Arts, Languages or Social Sciences; particularly a Modern Languages Degree (e.g. language, literature, thought and cultural studies programmes of a high, specialised level relating to one or more of the following: English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German and related cultures).

Students have an attested level of First Class or 2:1 Bachelor of Arts Honours Degree (or equivalent). Moreover, students may be among the top 5-10 students of their year.

If you will receive your degree after the end of the application period, and before the beginning of the Masters programme (August/September 2018), you are allowed to apply for the programme ; HOWEVER you have to provide during the application period the transcripts you have already received and a certificate of graduation from your University. The undergraduate degree certificate (or proof of its obtention) must be sent to the consortium before the beginning of the programme (August/September 2018).

2-      Languages Requirements

Students must possess a near-native (at least B2 level), degree-level command of the Semester 1 and Semester 2/3 Universities' languages which are among the following: English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, and Spanish – together with a basic knowledge of, or a willingness to acquire, a THIRD European language. In order to prove your level, you must provide official certificates of languages in your application.

a-      Special English language requirements for Universities of Sheffield and St Andrews

 -For Non-EU students: for non-EU students of Crossways at both Sheffield and St Andrews who are not native speakers of English, we require passes at prescribed levels in an English Language Test officially approved by the UK Border Agency. St Andrews demands IELTS average 7.0 (with minimum 6.5 in each component of the test), or the equivalent in another approved test. Sheffield demands IELTS average 6.5 (with minimum 6.0 in each component of the test), or the equivalent in another approved test.

All these requirements are higher than the minimum levels currently set by the UK Border Agency for a Study Visa for a Masters degree, so if you satisfy Sheffield's or St Andrews's requirements you should also have achieved the linguistic standards needed for a UK visa.

- For EU students: for EU students of Crossways at St Andrews who are not native speakers of English, passes at prescribed levels in an approved English Language Test are required, regardless of whether you have completed a good B.A. degree in English. An IELTS average of 7.0 (with minimum 6.5 in each component of the test), or the equivalent in another approved test, is prescribed.

At Sheffield, an IELTS average of 6.5 (with minimum 6.0 in each component of the test), or the equivalent in another test, is prescribed for EU students. However, this may be demonstrated either with IELTS or equivalent approved test results, or by excellent B.A.-level qualifications in English from a well-known European university.

For a list of tests approved by the UK Border Agency and by our two Universities, please follow the web links listed here:

TOEFL. Please note that TOEFL tests are no longer universally approved by the British Home Office UK Visas and Immigration Department (UKVI) as evidence of English Language ability. TOEFL test certificates taken within the UK are invalid for UK visa purposes. TOEFL test certificates taken outside the UK may be valid, but the decision is at the discretion of the university authorities and they may decide upon consideration that your TOEFL certificate is not reliable and cannot be accepted. You can use a TOEFL certificate for your Crossways application but are advised to obtain a different, approved qualification before applying for a visa.

b-      Special English language requirements for the University of Guelph

Applicants for admission will be required to present evidence of English Proficiency if:

  • their primary or first language is not English, and
  • they have had less than four years of full-time secondary school or post-secondary study, demonstrating satisfactory academic progress, in an English-language school system.

In such cases, the University of Guelph demands an IELTS minimum overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6, or the equivalent in another approved test. Please consult the web page on language requirements of the University of Guelph for further details.

3-      Mobility restrictions

The mobility tracks for each student involve 3 out of the 12 universities of the Consortium.

The mobility pattern for all students is:

  •           Semester 1 – University A;
  •           Semester 2 and Semester 3 – « Home University » University B;
  •           Semester 4 – University C.

Each partner University of your pathway may provide you a masters degree at the end of your programme. You may have a maximum of three Masters degrees.

N.B.: the two  Associate Universities (UFRJ- Brazil and UIA-Mexico) cannot provide Masters degree at the end of the 2-year programme; as a result, if one associate University is part of your pathway, you can expect to receive two Masters degrees at the end of your programme.

Your pathway must comply with the following restrictions:

  • Students may not choose a mobility track comprising both the University of St Andrews and the University of Sheffield;
  • Students may not spend the same academic year in both Canada (Guelph) and the UK (St Andrews/ Sheffield);
  • Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro and Universidad  Iberoamericana de la Ciudad de México cannot be chosen as Home Universities. Students may not study in both;
  • Students from partner countries must study in European Universities;
  • Students from programme countries may choose only one non-European institution.


For further details, please read the student application guidelines + its annex 1 , and the FAQ concerning the application procedure. You can contact the administrative coordinator at  for any issue concerning the application procedure.


You should comply with the requirements in the following document : Visiting Scholar Application - Guidelines

If you have any question please do not hesitate to contact the administrative coordinator at

Share this page:

Date of update November 28, 2018